Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Stretching Songs and Activities

One of the things we've been dealing with in our family is needing a lot of physical sensory input. I have found this works really well when my son is out of control and constantly seeming to have temper tantrums about everything. It makes my day pretty miserable but I am very thankful the other day that I took the time to hold him really tight. Mind you, the beginning of this isn't usually pleasant as there's a lot of kicking, hitting, and screaming however, I know in the end it'll pay off and this time it did.
One thing I learned when I had my kids in gymnastics is making up stupid songs to help my kiddos stretch. So one thing they did was make food sitting on the floor like pizza and sandwiches. I did an alternative and used my son as the bread product so if I turned him into a peanut butter and jelly sandwich I take him and I use the action of smearing peanut butter all over him and plopping jelly on him and then smearing in all over him. When I'm done I take him and fold his legs up over his head. This can be done with almost any food with some imagination but it seems to work. The surprising thing is while he may or may not say 'I need _______________ (fill in the blank with a sensory input action) he can say I want to be a peanut butter and jelly sandwich fairly easily and it lets me know he needs some sensory input without him being specifically being able to say what he needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment