Sunday, September 25, 2011

How we have used 'How to Read 100 Easy Lessons'

One of the challenges we have faced having a special needs child(ren) is reading. We are homeschooling and I spent last year (his K year) watching how he learned. I found that a lot of things simply were not going to work for him. I was hesitant about buying this book called, 'How to Read in 100 Easy Lessons' but I did it and I have had to change a few things. The last thing I want is my son overwhelmed with information or dislike reading so I try to make it simple and do things in a way that he'll remember them easily. Anyhow, we're on lesson 20 and I'll just post what I did in one of my other blogs for easy of location.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was asked by a friend to share with people how I am teaching my son who learns like an autisic child/ADHD child how I was helping my son with the book we are using called, How to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. Maybe it might help someone else. I'll also post it on the therapy blog I have as well. I will try to do this lesson by lesson so it can be copied and printed out for easy of use with the book.

Lesson #1 -
This chapter introduces the sound 'm' and 's'. The way I helped my son remember these sounds was was through a story. Mind you all the letters unless marked otherwise are all lower case. 'm' really liked what his mom made for dinner he said, 'mmmm' so she heaped another two helpings onto his plate. This allows for how the letter m is formed with two bumps. The 's' sound I told him was a snake try to remind you by saying 'ssss' what he says. I talk about it's form.

Lesson #3 -
This chapter introduces the short 'a' sound. I told my son that the letter 'a' went to the dentist and he opened his mouth and said 'aaaaa'. The 'a' is written as it is seen on the screen.

Lesson #5 -
This chapter introduces the long 'e' sound. This one I told him is smiling. When he thinks of this letter he must smile when he says it.

Lesson #7 -
The letter 't' is introduced in this chapter and I told him that he's trying to learn how to tell time. If your child can tell time you can tell him that he can't tell if it's 3:00, 3:30, 9:00 or 9:30.

Lesson #9 -
This chapter introduces the sound 'r'. This one I came up with the story of 'r' being so mad he puts his head down like a ram and says 'rrrrrr'.

Lesson # 12 -
This chapter starts with the 'd' sound. I told him that this letter the ball fell down the pole and landed on the ground. He can remember this sound because the ball fell down to the ground.

Lesson #14 -
The short 'i' is the star in this page but his tummy got upset before the performance and said 'i'. He threw up on the stage (which is why the dot is there) and he said 'ick'.

Lesson #16 -
The sound of 'th' is introduced here. Notice the two letters are joined together at the bottom as one sound. I told the story of how the 't' was being mean one day and stuck his tongue out at the 'h'. Now the 't's tongue is stuck on the 'h'. He now says 'th' trying to get unstuck.

I am going to stop here for now and discuss the writing tasks that follows each lesson in the book. My first suggestion is lined paper for elementary kids. I personally choose some thicker paper already sliced like in the picture below to have him write his letters. (There are only 2 letters to be written in each chapter.) This allows him to see it isn't going to be overwhelming because he can easily see the end of the paper. I typically try to get him to write each letter 3-5 times. If you're child has an issue with spacing I suggest you use a marker (different than the color of the paper, lines, or writing impliment your child has and draw lines below of where you want the letters. I also allow him to make one silly/creative letter with wiggly lines or teeth just for fun. I follow up this with getting out some stickers and allowing each of us to pick his best written letter of our own choosing.

One other thing I am going to mention that I have seen is that my kid can rhyme but on some of the pages he can't do it the way it is told. I improvised to make it work for us and he says the beginning sound and I quickly follow behind with the ending and then he gets to say really fast what we said together.

I hope this will help some people who are teaching kids kind of like mine and maybe this things will help someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment